Thread: metropolitan
View Single Post

Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Although designed by Nash in their quite distinctive half arch style, the Metropolitan was actually built by Austin in UK for export to Canada and the USA. I do not see it mentioned in the Nash Dealership package, and cannot pick out the distinctive Z side flash among the model cars there, so I don't think there is a Metropolitan among them Dave.

The story as I heard it back in the day was that they were built by Austin in UK, but only meant for export across the pond. They were considered way too American in style to sell over here. However, they turned out to be such a poor seller stateside, that hundreds of them were returned to the factory unsold. Austin re-jigged them to RHD and re-badged them as Austins to sell in UK. ... but as originally predicted, they didn't sell well over here either, and many of them were scrapped, but it did go opn as far as a Mk2, which had a QD hard top and an external boot (Trunk) door. This is what I had, but I still suspect that they were the rejects re-worked again by the factory to try to sell them.

It was actually quite a fun little car to drive back then. Much better than a Bubble-car and before the Mini was invented, but at the time I also had a huge 3 litre Vauxhall PA Cresta, which looked even more like an American So there was no contest when it came to parting with one of them.

Anyone ever seen a card model of a PA Crests? Blue/Cream two tone please.