View Single Post

Old 01-29-2018, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Big majority of people fiddling with paper models are perfectly OK staying with paper almost exclusively. I like it too. But there is a number of us, as a hard core scratch builder I include myself in this group too, who don't mind punching through old traditions...

I'm hoping to have 3D printed hull plugs for all my future models. They probably look differently than initial attempt at Agassiz but the idea is the same. Nicely executed hull is critical to the success of the entire model. In your case you arrived to very high quality without too much fuss, others might not, this gives them little helping hand and after all it's hidden inside so doesn't spoil paper composition. I also like it because it speeds up whole assembly process, gives the model some heft and makes it feel solid when handling.

Having said all that, I'm considering adding laser cut frames ( .5 mm thick card stock ) too, making hull building easier fro all those who prefer pure paper....

3D hull core is a little commercial product of mine so releasing stl file to public would be rather counterproductive... sorry.

Darius