Thread: Space Memories
View Single Post

Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
I'll chip in. Being part of the Star Wars generation, Sci-Fi and actually aerospace were my interests. My Grandfather was an experimental test pilot for Boeing, and I got to fly in small planes and actually pilot a sailplane at 9 or 10 years old. Grandpa tried to foster a love for all things aviation in all the grand kids (two of my cousins are/were professional pilots, I lost my dream of flying when the Army lowered the seated height limit by 5cm, and shredded my contract). Grandpa got me Jim Irwin's autobiography, autographed, to me. It is next to several other autographed aviation books (Chuck Yeager, and Tex Johnston), as well as out of print books like "We Seven".

For years the Seattle Science Center had a Gemini capsule mock up and I remember that being able to get in it.

I remember being in religion class and the announcement was made that the space shuttle had exploded. In a rare move, the teacher wheeled a TV in the classroom and turned on the news. It became a very somber morning.

The summer of 1987 we had our family vacation to Florida, and went to KSC. Didn't see a launch, but got the tour. that was one of the highlights (and Epcot).

The first real paper model that I built was a 1:100 Saturn V. I built some Mercury stuff to go with it. I have switched my scale focus, and those capsules are still on my build pile, only in 1:18.