View Single Post

Old 02-02-2018, 11:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
All,
I started the cowling. It comes in two forms...a strip-built-up form (one thin strip on top of the other) or a "petal" design which is the complete cowl all at once with curved cuts removed before forming them round. It's a complex shape, but I find that using successive sizes of these sets of round rollers and pressing against the back of an old mouse pad, I can slowly make the petals touch, then I add some glue on the back of each one and carefully edge glue them. Some stubborn parts were also hit with thick super glue and accelerator. Here is the basic shape!

It now has the interior coated with 10min epoxy so that tomorrow I can gently sand the exterior, fill, prime, sand etc. until it's nice and smooth. Then I'll cut out the cooling holes and paint it as close to the paper color as I can muster. Should look ok when done.

Then I started adding the mid wing. There are tiny formers on the ends of the spars and some that butt up against the fuselage. I found that by forming a bit of a convex shape on the upper surface, the fuselage formers seem unnecessary. Just slipped the wing skins over and viola. Beautiful fit, I must say.

More soon and Cheers,
Dan