View Single Post

Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene1772 View Post
Greetings all, just wanted to make a couple of quick points, Sakrison, my J-2 engines reach beyond the interstate ring of the second stage by 1/2 inch so a 1/4 inch would not be enough clearance for mine to make it work but maybe for you. Mechanic, I used the Apollonia third stage, the J-2 does stick out a little far but it does work and I think looks good but you did a great job on your version. You and Algebraist are inspiring me to rebuild mine and fix all the flaws from the first run.
I got a 3d printer for Christmas and have been eyeballing that Smithsonian Apollo command module model for the last couple of weeks, I was happy to see that someone built it. Looks good, what kind of printer did you use and did you just let it run for 80 hours straight?
Thanks Gene, I wouldn't mind seeing more of your third, it looks pretty good and those chrome spheres look spot on.

My wife's 3d printer is a Creality 3D (I think) with a 12"x12" bed. It was a bit of a pain getting it 'dailed in', and took three tries before we got the whole model. The anticipation once the cone section started printing was ridiculous, and then I thought for sure we'd have an issue with the recovery section. Coming home to a birds nest of plastic always sucks and at over 80 hours it was such a relief to watch the tunnel hatch finish printing.

Even at that size there was detail that just couldn't print out right on the four quarter supports of the tunnel, not to mention detail that was intentionally removed (main chute mortars, and the block that all the parachute cables and recovery cable attaches to that sits between the two big mortar cans). That missing detail could be a future project, like I said, but for now it's just fun to hold.

Isaac Asimov