View Single Post

Old 02-12-2018, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogopher1 View Post
In my high school model building days, "research" was the library card catalog
Yeah, I'm hip. I spent hours upon hours searching through card catalogs and then the unbelievably narrow aisles in "the stacks" for info on many subjects back in the 80's. And I usually ended up taking out the same books over and over. Especially if they had those one or two (if I was lucky) photos of Soviet R-7 boosters. They always intrigued me, partly because the whole Soviet program was veiled in secrecy, but also (as I've come to recognize), a certain amount of downplay by the U.S. government. Nothing new or wrong about that, show me a government that doesn't promote it's citizen's accomplishments above those of other nations. I just understand now that I was oblivious to it!

Back to the modeling, I recommend your first step should be deciding on a scale to use. Bigger IS easier when it comes to card modeling but a 1:48 Saturn V is about 7 1/2 feet tall. Conversely a 1:96 Goddard Rocket is going to be difficult to roll if the paper is much thicker than 20lb.

There are A LOT of download-print-build paper models on the net. These guys can tell you where to find things you never knew existed and they'll blow your mind at what they've done with plain old paper!