View Single Post

Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
What a fascinating and detailed post (I have only quoted the first tiny bit). Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write it. I learnt such a lot. Got to ask, what do you recommend to read to find out more about Apollo and space flight in general?
Oh there are SO many good books out there... Stages to Saturn is probably one of the best on the Saturn V.

The main book I'll tell you stay away from is Craig Nelson's "Rocket Men"... that book is SO poorly written and has a lot of misinformation or screwed up facts... just pitiful.

Currently I'm finishing up Boris Chertok's four-part seminal history of the Soviet space program from its earliest days through the 70's, "Rockets and People"... each of the volumes is about 400+ pages, so it's not for the faint of heart!

One of the best resources is the "NASA Technical Reports Server" (NTRS). I've downloaded a LOT of the old studies and proposals and stuff on the early space program, particularly WRT the Apollo/Saturn system, and have done (and periodically still do) "study summaries" of them, with respect to the most relevant information for modelers (specifically flying rocket hobbyists but also equally of interest for static models or space history buffs). NASA reports tend to be hundreds of pages of very dry statistics and formulae and I try to condense that down to the most interesting, relevant, and historical subject matter of interest to hobbyists and necessary to create a model and place it in proper historical context...

Check them out if you like... Just look in "Luke's Study" under the "Crew Quarters" section at the bottom of the forum list... Sagitta Cantina - Login

Later! OL J R