View Single Post

Old 02-13-2018, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
New for February 2018!
Ed Roth's Beatnik Bandit

It was a recent discussion on the forums that reminded me I had not included any Ed Roth customs in my Koolwheelz collection...yet.
How can that be?
No custom car collection is complete without at least one tribute to Big Daddy Ed Roth!

I have to pick one...at least one...
and why not his most famous, most iconic kar kreation of all time....the Beatnik Bandit!

This car is probably the most recognizable Ed Roth creation
....and one of the most well known Revell plastic models of the 1960s
...and one of the original 16 Hot Wheels of 1968.

Built in 1960, the body was hand molded from Plaster, resin, Fiberglass and wood.
This two seater featured a 1955 Olds chassis and motor, and a supercharger.
And it was the first Ed Roth kreation to feature his signature clear bubble-top canopy.

A unique feature of this car was that it did not have any foot pedals or a steering wheel for driving.
It was operated by a central "joy stick" style hand control that managed steering, throttle and braking.

I'm not really a fan of the colours and paint scheme on this kar,
but I did my best to be true to the original Big Daddy concept....Koolwheelz style, of course.

The 1968 Hot Wheels versions had slight differences in body styling due to toy and diecast limitations
and came in solid colour "spectraflame" paint finish. (Red, Green, Aqua, Orange, Pink, Purple, Gold, Green, Copper, Brown and Blue)

Obviously the bubble-top canopy is a difficult thing to recreate in paper.
And I'm not sure it would make much sense.
I can fudge the interior with some artwork, but without a clear bubble, I don't see the point.
So that makes this Koolwheelz model a little unique.
There is no top included...the model is incomplete.
You can choose to build it with no canopy top at all...but to finish it properly, you need to add the clear bubble-top.

I've created a small diagram to help you with the addition of the clear canopy.
there will also be an Assembly Sheet for this (in the Assembly Diagrams section at my forum - papermodelforum.com).

Find the Beatnik Bandit model in the ShowRodz section of Koolwheelz.