View Single Post

Old 02-28-2018, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 110.61 MB
F-111 recommendation

Hey folks, I’m looking for a kit recommendation for an F-111. I want to build it as a gift to my Dad, who turns 80 this year. In the early 1960’s he did a 3-year stint in the US Navy, on “loan” from Western Electric (remember Western Electric?). He spent his entire service at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, New Mexico, assigned to the joint Air Force/Navy Nuclear Weapons Testing & Evaluation facility. He was on the team that designed the nuclear weapon arming and firing system for the F-111. He doesn’t need another sweater for his birthday, and I think he would be really geeked out by model of the ol’ Aardvark.

My general interest is tanks and trucks, so my awareness of what’s out there in aircraft is sketchy at best. I have the old Fly Model F-111 kit in my stack, but I acquired it 15 years ago and the printing is pretty bland. I could build that kit, but I’m hoping someone here can point me in the direction of a more recent and better produced kit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

As a side note: I owe my life to Kirtland AFB and the F-111! It was during this time that my dad met my mom. My mom was a high school teacher and was dating my dad’s roommate on the base. The roommate was an Air Force test pilot, and was reassigned to another location for a number of months. Before he left, he asked my dad to “look after my girl while I’m gone.” The rest, as they say, is history!