View Single Post

Old 03-08-2018, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
USS Sims class destroyers by Lou Coaney

As some here know, I'm both a military/naval history boardgame player and ergo (for miniatures games) a cardstock model ship builder ... and designer.

In the 1970s, German military miniature manufacturer Wiking did some plastic 1:1250 model ships, as well as their usual metal/lead ones, and plastics are MUCH easier to carry or ship, since being so light they don't weigh so much and so easily break their bonds to get loose and destroy each other.

I have just scored BIG on eBay and gotten a slew of Wiking plastic battleships and cruisers, some Americans, Italians, and British, as well as German. I already have plenty of the Wiking prreWW2 Galster class destroyers, but Wiking's Italian Navigatori class destroyers are virtually museum pieces and WAY beyond anyone's price limit.

And the price of 3-D-printed 1:1200-1250 destroyers is too high too.

So I have again tried to fill the void, first with the American Sims class destroyers. Someone remarked under the thread about the F3F Wildcat being built, that CV-2 Lexington has just been found at the bottom of the Coral Sea. (I have Lexington and Yorktown paired together on a unit in my free print-and-play boardgame Pacific War Naval Chess Game.)

Anyway, here are 8 of the *un-test-built* Sims at 1:1200 (letter paper sheet size) or 1:1250 (A4/international size). (I've already done the ModelCAD testbuild at 1:700, and it was perfect. I'm working on the .png/.jpg now.)

They *can* be built, if your eyes are as good as mine are at 71.