View Single Post

Old 03-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.52 MB
N1K2-J Shiden Kai, Halinski

Well this plane is another on my long wanted to build list, and I hope I am up to it, if not this may be more a kit review, HA...
I first purchased the Model Hobby kit, and I think would be fine to build, but noticed some advantages to building the Halinski version, so I bought one from Poland, shipped in about 2-3 weeks, which is ok.
This aircraft likely doesn't need much introduction for many here, but was clearly a fine fighter, competing very favorably with Hellcats, Corsairs, despite tremendous odds and poor fuel. Initially a float plane, the Kawanishi company developed the N1K which was good but not great, with poor undercarriage and sluggish a bit most of these issues corrected with this new developed design and the new Nakajime Homare 18 cylinder engine. Kawanishi kept the automatic flaps, which enabled this aircraft to out-turn both Hellcats and easily Corsairs.
Many of the numbered aircraft were flown on an as available basis rather than assigned to specific pilots from the famed 343 Kotutai, so I wanted to make a unique numbered plane, also wanted to lessen the weathering on the Hal kit, surely the paint was new at one time, so hoping to repaint the fuse not completed with this yet.
Attached Thumbnails
N1K2-J Shiden Kai, Halinski-img_1846.jpg