View Single Post

Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350

My next architecture model will be very different from the more common cathedrals, castles and palaces. It represents a nuclear power plant with a pressurized water reactor. As far as I know, the real thing (Olkiluoto 3) is still under construction in Finland.
The model is at the relatively small scale of 1/350. Notwithstanding, it will be a large model, with a base of around 80cm x 90cm. The modeler has the choice to build the “easy” (outside only), medium and “hard” versions of the kit. The most ambitious version has over 3000 parts, mainly for the interior. Not surprisingly, I’ll do my best to deal with the “hard” version…
As you can see in the pictures, it is a huge kit, very well produced. The instructions, in German and English, include both general hints for paper modeling and many assembly diagrams, put together in a A4 booklet. I never count the hours for modeling, as it could result in psychological pressure not really welcome for such a nice hobby. For those who care about that, the kit contains a full list of parts and a rough estimation of the time needed to assemble each building! The parts are printed on 32 A3 pages and one A4. The paper quality is very good and the modest thickness is very much to my taste. There are also the front and the rear covers, printed on thick card, some sheets of 0,5mm card for reinforcement and the enormous base that has to be glued onto something solid.
Attached Thumbnails
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c001.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c002.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c003.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c004.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c005.jpg