View Single Post

Old 03-25-2018, 07:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Next up the hands and feet.

These are similar in construction to Johan’s claws in his birds but at a far larger scale. I built the claws in between waiting for tabs to dry on other parts.

Photo 1 – The first 8 pieces are the claws for the hind feet – 4 claws per foot. The last 4 larger pieces are the hands on the forearms – two for each hand that will be stuck back to back.

Photo 2 – These two pieces are the base (ankles) for each of the hind feet. Different shapes as the one ankle is in a flexed position.

Photo 3 – This shows the forearm hands after they have been stuck back to back and then rolled into “cones” - the cones will insert into the forelimbs.

Photo 4
– This shows the part for the hind feet assembled – the first two pieces are the bases (ankles) for the two feet, while the remainder are the claws. On the bases for the feet and the claws you will see there are white numbers – these should match when you stick the claws to the bases of the feet.

There are 4 claws for each foot – three are “toes”, and the other is a “dew” claw on the side of the leg.

Photo 5 – According to the instructions, the centre claw is fitted inside out – it is dropped onto the foot base then pulled through. On the one foot this worked fine, but on the second it didn't, as the claw was too straight to curve around through the hole.

Not a big deal – I merely cut open the base of the foot a bit to allow the claw to be seated.

This photo shows the section I cut open (see arrow), and the offending claw. The claw was then easily glued in place, followed by the flap I had cut.

Photo 6 – This shows the finished feet, along with the two “dew” claws.

At this stage I decided to modify the feet so later, if required, they could accept two skewers to assist in securing the model to a base. I really don’t have any ideas on what I am going to do for a base at this stage – but I do have some photography ideas, and the skewers will serve to secure the dinosaur in both cases if needed.

To make the fittings I simply inserted the skewers into the feet and then stuffed them with toilet paper and dabs of white glue. While the glue was still wet I swiveled the skewers round and round so the tissue dried with preformed holes, but the skewers were still able to be removed.

I wanted them removable so when I was attaching the feet to the body I could stand the dinosaur on a flat surface to get the right posture and angle.

Photo 7 – This shows the two feet with the skewers in place.

These are then going to be put aside for later - after the rest of the model has been finished - as the claws are fragile and this will prevent them being damaged through handling.
Attached Thumbnails
Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d25.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d26.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d26a.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d27.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d28.jpg  

Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d29.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d30.jpg