View Single Post

Old 04-15-2018, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Ruben, I have found age to only be a factor when considering topics and themes.
And you are correct, I have not examined the actual ages of the people who download (or purchase) my models.
Again, because it applies more to subject or topical interest.

For example...a larger younger generation is interested in anime, science fiction, gaming and figures.
Whereas the majority of interest pertaining to WW1 and WW2 Miltary Aircraft, vehicles and Ships lies with older generations.
Thats not to say there isn't a mix of ages in all topics, but I think we can agree there are less senior citizens attending the local meet of Star Wars modellers.

My judgement and my opinion is reflected by what I have seen on the forums and within the modeling community over the last 10 years.

Sure, I'm also including what I know about the people who have downloaded my own models,
but I've seen what happens at ecardmodels and other retail outlets that also offer free models.
I've seen what happens at my own online store, which also has a free model section.
I've spoken to others and learned their web surfing, downloading, and collecting patterns.

No, 100 people on one website is not a basis for a scientific study.
But I'm suggesting that you could easily compare the download practices of these 100 people
to the norm across most paper model sites.

Heres a good example of what I am getting at...
at ecardmodels, I offer a conversion kit for a Spitfire model.
Its free and has been downloaded about 600 times.
I offer the same kit in my store for free and its been downloaded hundreds of times.

Now, this is a conversion kit, only works with one model...only has a few parts.
This is clear in its description.
You need the base model to use any of the parts.
Its absolutely useless in any other way.

But I've only sold a few dozen copies of the base Spitfire model in the last 5-6 years.

So why have all these people downloaded this free conversion kit?
Why bother?
Unless its just because its free, and its there, and it adds to their ever growing collection of free and found models.

I think this one instance reflects the general attitude that crosses all ages and all topics of paper model available on the Internet.
Its not the ONLY reason people collect paper models...but for 90% of the models that are downloaded on the internet, it is the only reason people have those models.

And if you poll the 100 people who have models from gerhard, I think you'll get common responses.
The model was free.
I may or may not build it, but it was free, so what the heck.
It might not be available later.
I just want to add it my collection regardless of whether I will ever build it.
Did I mention it didn't cost me anything.

And because I believe this is the common response you'll get from anywhere/anysite
thats why I said gerhard's 100 downloaders would offer an acceptable cross-section of modellers.