View Single Post

Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Friends

I find this discussion extremely interesting.
Gerard I particularly think that your motivation is fair, but not correct.
I particularly think that complaining about the lack of attention to feedbacks or built models excuses my friend in saying this is almost childish.
The world of modeling has changed over the last few decades. Modelism whatever it has always been an adult hobby. Young people are interested in the world around them, which has nothing to do with airplanes, tanks or ships. Just see the amount of models extracted from video game games. Even when I became a papermodeler I had an "outbreak" of video game ship models.
As a teacher and observing my children and the friends of my children, my nephews and their friends, I can say that at least in Brazil, modeling is experiencing an unprecedented crisis, especially plastic modelling, with stores closing and a decrease of fans. Here papermodelling has a significant space, but observing well who does it, are young people in the 20 years in general salaried employees coming from the areas of technology, is very strong the construction of figures of super heroes, video game characters and formula 1 cars. There, is clear the people of piracy and this one moves, more and more I arrive at conclusion because the model is there of free, and I think that both Rubem and David hit Gerard, in his diagnoses. In Brazil the plastic modellers who join boxes are called "caixeiros" in a freer translation if it is possible "boxers" or box modellers, they are people who accumulate models over the years without assembling, in some cases they would need to live 10000 years to construct the whole collection. Why that? The power of choice! Now of course there is a disease in extreme cases. The difference of the collection of boxes for the HD virtual collection of paper models is based on the fact that the second one is invisible, but it is there giving the power of choice to the modeler.
I think Gerard, you should also realize that often a feedback is not issued, not to embarrass a person like you who has many successes regarding the availability of their models. I even tried to mount the Vampire and the T-33 without success. Will I one day try again? Certainly and that's how it works. There are those who ride, there are those who try and there are those who give up. You need to be prepared not to listen, because those who actually build models generally seek not to give negative feedbacks, even more on models that are not paid.
In my list are still to assemble the Dutch aircraft of the Second War and the Do-24, but realize, being on the list does not mean schedule. Their models are difficult to build, printing is hampered by textures in high resolution (but often poorly graphical), in modest equipment like mine, I take almost half an hour to print, they have no clear instructions and its restriction on downloads does not make them popular.
You saw how much feedback I mentioned from your Gerard manifestation. And the worst without building anything.
Finally, I think the decision to restrict, remove, or keep downloads of your models, absolutely sovereign, do what is best for you my friend. The real sense of the hobby of any hobby is fun, unless you live it or make money, which we know is not what happens.
I think collecting and disseminating data from your downloaders is harmless, because it is not a serious statistical study. It seems like an intimidating mechanism to prevent your models from being pirated by third parties. I think it would be more honest to tell you that this is the real reason, there are other ways to encourage kids with modeling, and certainly not with models full of formers that sometimes do not fit. His models are for advanced modelers, as much as you sometimes do not admit it.
I hardly get ready to enter into this type of discussion, my free time is not on the keyboard of the computer, but I think even for you feel better I would give this feedback as a habitual modeler who builds an average of 40 models a year and that conversation a lot with designers like Aaron and Bruno, but why? Basically why the access these people give modelers to help with design is broad. Think about it.