View Single Post

Old 05-05-2018, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
First cuts

not really, I already cut out most parts out of boredom...

After studying the design I decided to assemble the nose first. (Fuselage parts ordered starting from the nose)

I shaved a little from fuselage part 1 to make it fit with part 2. Both of them were printed on 80gsm paper on the same page as the bulkheads, so they were reinforced with 0.5mm grey card. (The card delaminated like crazy and was difficult to handle. Please use proper high quality card whenever possible)

The increased thickness made them easier to form into a double curved surface, but I think I have overdone it and now the nose section resembles the Michelin mascot...... I'm gradually getting the hang of it.

Part 3 has the front wheel well opening - always a convenient sanctuary to eat up fitting issues. The MG ports were cut open to ancitipate a little added detail. Fuselage part 4 (the one around the cockpit) was cut in half so I could concentrate the misfit in the area on the top fuselage immediately in front of the cockpit, a small area anyway.

I then realise the part behind it refuse to fit either but I need to deal with the cockpit before closing that section up. Going to be a difficult job there.

A ring of paper was created inside the intake so I don't have the ugly cross-section of low-density grey card showing through (as seen in the first image). The ordering was 80gsm-220gsm-80gsm, the thick middle layer was used to provide a thickness inside the cylinder and enabled the innermost layer to be formed with a trumpet-like opening that joins more naturally with the outer skin. It will be coloured later. The inner intake section provided by the model itself stopped short of the nose and didn't cover it, and will be attached later as it punches through multiple bulkheads and can easily cause fitting issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180504_204811.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180505_200846.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180505_200950.jpg