View Single Post

Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
So....any more builds?

seriously...if I don't see some builds soon,
I'm gonna collect your names
and call your Moms.

I got one more model ready for Monday...make me proud...show me some love.

Well, I don't really need the promise of more models to express my appreciation; you've given me two very satisfying projects already! Im just going to share because I appreciate the works you contributed so far! No bribes necessary.

I still haven't rebuilt the Galileo but have instead been testing modifications on the one that I had already built, but I had rushed it...with predictable results!

One thing I did was test layering the bow to add dimension to the forward ports, with double sheets of standard copy paper. 67lb was too heavy. I'll cut them more cleanly in the next build, but this cut suggests what I am going for.

The first pic illustrates the result; defined forward window ports. On the rebuild I plan to remove the black and have white window shutters, like in the series, with the definition of the layered sheets as the differentiation of the closed shuttlers and the court hull. I might also leave them as Dave illustrated them, with black ports. I'll experiment with both, go with the best, or possibly have a combination, like with the center port open, like Decker did in Doomsday Machine.

The next pic is of the restoration of the studio model, to show my ambition.

The third pic is the studio restoration, in progress, of the stern of the shuttle, guiding my rebuild ambitions. Note the engines and airfoil curve to the upper decking.

The next pic illustrates another experimentation. I added layering to the impulse engines, with the dark option edged a layer different that the lit engine sections, with satisfying results.

I also added a grey lower frame, but I am not happy with the result. Instead of re-doing the lower gray frame in this experiment, I will instead extend the upper and lower bracketing with 100lb cardstock, curving it around the engines, extended from the aft of the shuttle and still use the working layering of the black and yellow engine ports within the planned curved housing. I'll add a few details to the stern, regrind the access hatches. No photos yet of this experiments because I am not yet satisfied with what i have attempted on the test model.

The pics of the restored studio model, currently on display in Texas, to suggest whatI am trying to replicate with an extended, curved engine housing.

The graphics are so much better than anyone else had accomplished with this kit, I want to push the framing to equal Dave's illustrative efforts.

I am still experimenting with smooth bussard domes techniques.

At least I was...

But then I got distracted...
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-20180512_012524_resized.jpg   Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-s-l1600-1.jpg   Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-s-l1600.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180512_012620_resized.jpg (130.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by THE DC; 05-12-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: pics and description errors