View Single Post

Old 05-12-2018, 12:28 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
But then...

This was my project until a recent Monday.

The pic below shows the project that currently interrupted the old Galileo; also a Dave design. I am sure he recognizes it, even from the blank side!

I am adding framing about the waist, cutting out doors to suggest seems, cutting out the bow illustration to add plastic, adding a lower reflective patch to suggest a deflector, adding on the ventral rectangular sections to reflect the magnetic fusion projector/ landing beacon, extending the engine housings 20% to curve into the hull, adding yellow thruster patches on the forward starboard and port housing, and reducing the nacelles by 20% height for a more true fit to the hull. I am experimenting with curving the nacelles a bit too (that's not gong too well, but I am pretty determined).

Before I am done I hope to find some lettering from another kit to match the design '5' used in the movie (black letters surrounded by a red outer frame). The comic pic that Dave designed from was slightly different than the movie version (a red 5), but his design was so smooth it encourages the creative process to seek the ambition of replicating the studio models; 3ft., 5ft., or full size!(its been interesting noting the slight differences between the 3 different sizes used on screen!).

I've rough cut and tested four versions so far, learning from each effort errors in my planning. The pic below is my most recent cut, ready for a test build. I have not figured out how to adjust the stern entry hatch for a smooth fit on the back (after adding the thin waist strip around the whole shuttle body) as the additional 5MM framing throws off the aft hatch fit.

I have already tested different bussard grills, with nothing satisfying yet. I'm still experimenting and enjoying the process.

This may take a while, but my thanks to Dave for the project. I have wanted to build this for some time and an enjoying playing with the foundations he provided to accomplish my dream kit!

I am not sure if it would be good to share the effort here or start another thread, as if I do all that I am trying, I would be at risk of hijacking the thread.

But I'm several weekends away from getting enough done to worry about that.

I'll get back to the old shuttle after this one, but this is consuming my mind's eye at present!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-20180512_012937_resized.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 05-12-2018 at 12:35 AM. Reason: errors