View Single Post

Old 05-15-2018, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Advice given so far is great. I use PVC pipe for larger tubes, wood dowel, bamboo skewers, Tig Welding rod, and have an extensive collection of various diameter carbon fiber tubes and rods.

Once I have the tube rolled, I always wrap it with rubber bands. You can cut one band, use it in a spiral wound around the tube and then tuck the loose end under the last wrap. Doing it this way it holds the tube in a smaller shape than when it is released-it springs open and makes the gluing easy.

Since most of my models are big, use a piece of square wood dowel to glue with. The dowel (can be round or use PVC pipe as well for really big projects) is used to make a "bridge" between the table top and a chair arm. every few inches along the length of the dowel I use double sided tape wrapped around the dowel to hold the paper. Now all you have to do is apply glue, grab the loose end not taped down and use pressure against the dowel to finish making the tube.

It is very important to keep the smaller diameter of the rolled tube as long as possible so that the paper remembers it is now a rolled tube. That is why I use the rubber bands to hold it.

Mike