View Single Post

Old 05-15-2018, 11:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Thank you all for the compliments... however, I have hit a slight snag.

The joys of scratchbuilding and designing half in your head and half on paper... I've miscalculated my measurements somewhere and have a minor problem now with scale. I'm not even sure what scale this is in, I originally took the canon model to a print shop and had them enlarge it to a size I'd estimated would give me 1/24 scale or close to it. I can't remember if I had it enlarged to a certain percentage of if I just had it printed on A3 paper to effectively double the original size.

Anyhoo, aside from that, I based my measurements for the tread plates on the size of the tread plates dawn on the "paper strap" tracks from the original model. I then designed my chain links based on the size of those treads. I've miscalculated somewhere and now my chain links are too big, although it looks like it works, my tread plates need to overlap more, ie: need to be bigger.

The solution? I've put a lot of time and effort into this design so far, it would be a waste to start again, and that would also require much smaller parts, I'm not sure I want to deal with that. So my solution will be to enlarge the whole model, based on the size of my incorrect chain parts. The tread plates will need to be made again, but they were easy compared to the chain. All I have to do now is determine a percentage to enlarge the model by. I have it printed and laminated already, I'm thinking I should just have to scan and enlarge by a certain percentage, reprint and laminate... correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to start by completing the "chain" for the tracks, then see where to go from there, I may be able to make it work without too much modification but I'll deal with that when I get to it.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000