Thread: downloads
View Single Post

Old 05-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

I agree with my friend MichaelS that ultimately we can print out the downloads in the scale we want, but I also agree with you that it would be nice to have a specified scale as a starting point. However, this would be hard to do. With everyone using different computers and especially different printers, the exact size of the printout you make might differ from the one I print.

Here's one way to do it. If I wanted to build a downloaded model to a specific scale, (and I wanted to save some ink and cardstock in the process), I would print out a "measurable part" in B&W on a sheet of copy paper. A "measurable part" would be something like the full length of the deck of a ship or the wing of an airplane, something you have an actual dimension for. Once you measure it and have determined its scale, you can do the maths and determine how much to reduce or enlarge to print to the scale you want. There are many threads on this site that describe how to increase and decrease the scale of your model, so I won't go into that here.

Another way to do it would be to use the "scattergun" method. Again, printing in B&W on paper, just enlarge or reduce the download image by say, 5% or 10% until you are satisfied with the size of your model. Then print it out in color on your cardstock and start building.

These are a couple of approaches that may work for you. I hope some of this helps in your quest to build the downloads to the scale you want.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog