View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 110.61 MB
Thanks all for the encouraging words.

Thomas- it was hard to decide between this model and Wartburg as the place to start. Wartburg is where Luther hid for nearly a year after his excommunication, translating the New Testament into German to pass the time. While these two locations are the most well known to Lutherans (and non-Lutherans), I wish there was a model of the episcopal palace (Bishop's residence) in Augsburg available. This is the location of the presentation of the Augsburg Confession, which is doctrinally more important to Lutherans than even the 95 thesis. BTW, I grew up Episcopalian, married a Moravian, and we ended up Lutheran.

Vermin-- Still researching and working on the list, but happy to share what I have so far. This is almost exclusively a list of Schreiber models, so assume that except where I indicate otherwise. As I indicated in note to Thomas above, if you wanted to pick one, pick one of the first two on this list.

These are the "A List" Luther landmarks available:
  • Wittenberg Castle Church-- where Luther posted the 95 Thesis in 1517
  • Wartburg Castle-- Luther hid here 1521-22 as a wanted man, translated New Testament into German while there
  • Luther House in Eisenach--not really his house, but the house he lived in as a boarder while attending school in Eisenach
  • St Mary's Church Wittenberg (download from Stahlart 404 Not Found while the Castle Church is where the 95 Thesis were posted, it wasn't Luther's "home" church. St. Mary's is where Luther worked and preached at the time of the 95 Thesis.

Here's what I'm calling "B List" Luther landmarks:
  • Worms Cathedral (which Thomas just completed)-- represents the Diet of Worms (Diet = Imperial Assembly or Conference), where in 1521 Luther refused to recant his writings, leading to his excommunication. The actual meetings did not take place at the Cathedral, but the Cathedral is symbolic of the Papal power Luther was resisting.
  • Speyer Cathedral--represents Imperial Diets in 1526 and 1529. The 1526 Diet eased the Edict of Worms somewhat, giving the Reformers a bit of breathing and growing room. The 1529 Diet reinstated the Edict of Worms, putting the heat back on. As with Worms, is representative of the events, not the actual site within the city.
  • Ulm Minster--Currently the tallest church in the world (spire is 530 ft), became a Protestant (Lutheran Church) in 1531. Martin Luther is thought to have passed through Ulm on his journey to Rome in 1511; there are biographies that claim he gazed upon Ulm Minster's massive 530 ft spire with awe and wonder. However, in 1511, the steeple would not have been any higher than about 320 feet. The full height of 530 wasn't achieved until 1890. Ulm Minster was called out by Luther, along with St Peter's in Rome and the Cologne Cathedral, as being a size wholly unsuitable for preaching. It is not known whether he had first-hand knowledge of this or knew this by reputation.

There are other structures, both secular and sacred, that are important to Luther and the Reformation that I am trying to find models for, but the above list is what I've been able to put together so far. And I'm open to suggestions!

Finally, Schreiber also has a 1:9 kit of Martin Luther himself-- I'll be building that as part of this project too!