View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.61 MB
Walls are up! Starting to look like a church now, instead of a grain silo !

The walls are just four simple pieces, but they are big pieces. As I mentioned in my intro, this is the first "big" architectural model I've attempted, and I was a little leery about how these four pieces would go together. My main concern was the thickness of the paper; I was worried that the walls might look wavy across such a large expanse. If this was a 1:25 armor model (which I'm more used to), there would likely be a solid cardboard structure underneath the skin.

So I used the 110 lb cardstock again to laminate the backs of the walls & give them some strength. I was careful to stop my backing pieces just short of the edges where a tab from an adjoining wall would connect; I didn't want the added width to throw off the angles or create a gap.

Maybe strengthen the wall pieces was a bit of overkill, but ultimately I'm happy with the result. The fit of the walls onto the base and into each other and the existing tower base was very good, and everything looks nice and square, with no waves. I didn't feel the need to strengthen the 2 inner braces, they seemed fine as is.
Attached Thumbnails
Martin Luther Landmarks-img_7761.jpg   Martin Luther Landmarks-img_7764.jpg