View Single Post

Old 07-16-2018, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"

Lots of reasons to build a Grumman duck for me, one of my all time favorite aircraft from the early years of aviation. Only problem, no decent model exists that I know of in 1/33 with details that would go with a 1/33 size model. Kancho designed a beautiful small duck, never intended to be built at this size, so lots of changes would be needed to upscale this convincingly. Years ago I bought the Modelik version, and was disappointed to see a poorly designed model that I think was not test built at all. Many parts would clearly not work. (few would in fact)
When Boats did the F3F however, which was a hand drawn model, I started to revisit the Duck, and wondered if some redesign might be possible, and since I have a Goose model and they share a hull, well?
Now with a few weeks of work on this one I'm thinking I might be able to build it? It has been done at least once, Google Modelik Duck images, a pretty build. I have tested some assemblies already, tried some simple model builds of certain skins and formers, redrew the hull from my experience with the Goose.
Since the J2F 4 would be the version that would likely have yellow Navy top wing, I drew up a new forward section ahead of the cockpit to be as the J2F 4 would have, and new engine/cowl. Have had to draw other new parts also and have more to do. I like the one flying example of this plane that has a cool story of it's own, now in Texas at the Mid America Museum of Flight. Will likely do this paint scheme and have been working on that.
I'm abandoning the odd formers of the Modelik version, unfortunately the hull formers needed work, and some will have to be improvised. I'm planning to "adjust" the fuse formers where needed and am starting some early work.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2107.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2108.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2106.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2117.jpg