View Single Post

Old 07-24-2018, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 624.43 MB
A source for good rigging wire

" This one is rigged with the thin soft wire that's in the plastic twist ties that come with freezer bags etc. The wire is easy to cut and responds well to my preferred PVA; the only downside (minor) is having to straighten each wire before installing."

Not building as well as you gentlemen, but-
I have had good success with using multi-strand copper wire. (Try about 14 ga, but any multi strand will do.) Two or three feet of it can be purchased at almost any hardware store, even the big box guys. I cut off six to eight inches, strip off the plastic coating then gently pull one strand from each end with pliers. As you are pulling, the wire will suddenly stretch about 1/4 inch (and get a bit thinner). If you keep pulling the wire will just snap into two pieces. Try to stop before that...But the resulting wire is quite thin, very straight and stiff enough for most purposes. I use it for ship railing, train grab irons and I reinforce the struts and landing gear on some of the paper aircraft I build. Not as stiff as brass bar stock, just seems to come in handy in quite a few instances.
Mike