View Single Post

Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
She was amazing.

I was trying to establish what aircraft she flew - the 76 types - and it appears that as well as flying aircraft for the ATA, she also flew for the RAF, as her types also include the Meteor and Vampires.

-----------------

A couple years ago my Aunt, who was in the RAF in WW2, died, and in her effects a medal turned up. Her best friend, still alive and well and living by herself at 102, told me that she got this from rescuing airman from planes that crashed on their return to RAF Down Ampney. Because of her small size she did this a number of times, including entering planes that were on fire. She had never mentioned this to me.

I was impressed that the RAF offered to pay for the funeral and asked for me for her ashes. They then interred them in a Wall of Remembrance at the air base (with due pomp and ceremony), as well as organising an ad hoc fly-past by a Dakota from the memorial flight, and a Hercules (from her old Squadron).

Apparently the Dak needed a test flight and Hercules was on training, so they timed both activities to coincide with the ceremony!