View Single Post

Old 08-22-2018, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
My original plan was to just do the driveshafts and half shafts to the wheels, so I could install it all into the chassis at the same time. After finishing those I decided to go a bit further and also build the gearbox and transfer case as they are also black and I can paint it all in one sitting.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-shafts.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-inst.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tc1.jpg

As far as the transfer case goes, parts fit was pretty good and the instructions are relatively clear, although sometimes you have to look at them and photos of other people's builds to fully understand them. Also, the instructions are randomly spread across more than one page again. As Greg mentioned in his build report, there are three tubes, parts 111, 112 and 113 that need to be rolled to fit inside the holes you cut in parts 108 and 109, if you cut them and roll them before inserting them in the holes, they won't fit. Thanks again Greg.

I took photos of the finished transfer case from 4 angles in case it helps anyone else with their build.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tc2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tc3.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tc4.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tc5.jpg

Next up was the gearbox. Again, not a lot of issues here but this part was slightly frustrating to build yet fun at the same time. lots of small parts with small holes. One part, 93 I think it was... is surrounded in small circles that you're expected to cut from 1mm card. No thanks! Instead, I sliced up a round toothpick to replace the somewhat impossible-to-cut stupid little circle bits.

As usual, the obligatory excessive amount of extra rivets were added anywhere I found them drawn on the parts and some parts were replaced with toothpicks or wooden skewers.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-gb1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-gb2tp.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-gb3.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-gb4.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-gb5.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-gb6.jpg

before I can paint any of this, I need to assemble the half shafts that go to the wheels. To do this I need to connect some tiny parts that make up the universal joints at the end of each shaft. I decided to try and solder the little brass cross pieces needed to do this, something I haven't done before. After a bit of trial and error I made myself a small jig with a cross engraved in a piece of wood to hold the pieces down while soldering...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-br1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-br2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-br3.jpg

It's working well, but the actual assembly of the universal joints is not going so well, they're tiny and flimsy... I'm going to have to work out a solution before I can get it all painted and attached to the model..

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000