View Single Post

Old 09-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
We come to the front end, starting with the headlight. Like the tank, this is a fairly straightforward piece, except for the large hole in the top for the recessed speedometer. In this case, however, this has to remain, as the speedo is visible. The first try was pretty unacceptable, so I moved a lot of tabs to an internal joining strip to get a better fit between the front three rings, and made a former to keep everything firm and round, so the second go was reasonable. The intended mounting is by a rod which passes right through both brackets and the body of the headlight. I ignored this - the body will just be glued to the inside of the brackets, and the ends of the rod will go to tidy up the outside.

In a similar way, the middle section of the handlebars passes through the brackets which hold it, but the holes in the brackets make them unmanageably fragile. Instead I left the brackets unpierced and sliced up the central handlebar section.

A small thread for a small Yamaha YA-1-06-steering2.jpg

The front forks have bellows-like gaiters to protect the telescopic springing, which in the model are simulated by numerous conical rings placed alternately up and down. These were pretty hard to assemble, especially as adjacent rings had slightly mismatching outer diameters. In the end I managed a fairly acceptable appearance.

A small thread for a small Yamaha YA-1-06-steering1.jpg

Finally, the front fender, like the rear one, was quite easy. Again I just hand-coloured the inside instead of layering in the printed strips.