View Single Post

Old 09-13-2018, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Rigging...

Hi @ all!

So here come some pictures from the rigging.

Rigging is in the easier papermodels such as for instance those from 'Maly Modelarz' not properly explained so if someone is not used to rig sail ships it is necessary to search the internet for the proper techniques.
I am learning a lot with the Mayflower and it is a basis for my future models. Also I did some research on the internet and the purchase of the wooden model kit of the russian brigantine Phoenix gives some interesting insights to proper rigging of square sail ships.
Of course the plans I have for the mayflower are good. So...

Material and methods

-threads, bocks, plans...

First I had to check the plans. They are really good with stating all the ropes with their proper names and by number (pic.1). The number then I have translated to the rigging plan to learn which rope is which... (pic.2 & 3) Then I used the approach of rigging from stem to stern, beginning with the bowsprit.

First I prepare all the blocks needed and attach them to the mast, before I glue the mast in place. Otherwise it is quite a struggle to attache them to the mast, once it is glued in place. this happened to me with two of the blocks (the ones for the uphaul) for the fore mast, as I struggled to figure out, where they are attached to (pic. 4)??
After a bit of research I came up with the solution as presented in pic. 5 and 6. Pic. 6 also shows how the shrouds (five on each side of the mast) are attached to the mast and after they are done, I attach the forestay (thick line going from the fore mast to the bowsprit). After that I started with the ratlines and am still going on with them as indicated in the plans (pic. 7).

The last pictures (pic. 8 to 13) show the result thus far on the model.

Ratlines are quite a challenge as they can change - stretch or compress - the distance between the individual shrouds if the knot is put wrongly.

All together a nice learning experience and progress is a bit slow, but steady...

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf329.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf330.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf331.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf332.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf333a.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-ms333b.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf334.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf335.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf336.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf337.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf338.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf339.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf340.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20