Thread: Upcoming models
View Single Post

Old 09-15-2018, 01:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
The big planes don't start coming in until the winter months. This one has 16 main landing wheels, 2 nose wheels, and taxis with a cockney accent.
Blimey, what accent do the crew adopt when they are airborne?

I know the subject matter has moved on a bit in this thread, but I hope you will all permit me an interjection.

murphyaa, your photo a little further on in the thread from the quote above shows a British Airways 747-400. I noticed the rather bare-looking hills in the photo background, and knowing the BA 747 does the London to Phoenix schedule I compared the photo with Google Earth. Bingo, that photo was taken at the north-eastern corner of Phoenix Sky Harbor International, facing north-east! So Sky Harbor is where you work refuelling aircraft?

A bit off-subject again, I know, but it is perhaps worth remembering that BA is not likely to have many Cockney pilots. I think you probably meant 'British accent'? The term Cockney is traditionally associated with a small and specific area of London, and folk who were 'born within the sound of Bow bells'. The bells referred to are those of Saint Mary-le-Bow church, which is situated on the eastern side of central London. However, Cockney is now more commonly associated with inhabitants of London's East-end, or even all working class Londoners.

I'll end there and allow the thread to run it's normal course ......