Thread: Wells Cathedral
View Single Post

Old 09-15-2018, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoullis View Post
Rupert, the insight into your design and modelling process is fascinating! The fact that you design by hand, with an iteration process that requires patience, skill and vision, is simply amazing.

Yes, there are many modellers out there who are skillful with software that is capable of turning a 3D object into something that can be printed on flat paper or card, and then re-assembled back into a 3D object. But to have the talent to undertake this using eye and hand is astonishing!

The detail you capture using your, shall we say, 'traditional' methods is remarkable. It gives these wonderful models of ancient buildings an entirely appropriate old-fashioned patina. So, despite you saying that the large-sized drawings are necessary for your declining eyesight (hey, isn't the ageing process a real bummer? ), I think that even in the reduction back to print-production size, you have actually given the textures and details some grain that truly enhances the final product.

More power to your very capable elbow, Sir!
I am overwhelmed by your praise. I though everybody worked this way. As a professional watercolour artist and life-long observer and problem-solver, this method of working comes naturally to me. Most of the design work of these models is done in my head until my brain almost literally aches. The relief I get from committing it all to paper is palpable. The biggest headache I ever had was in trying to imagine the west front of Peterborough Cathedral. That one nearly foxed me!! I was saved by a drone video on youtube and watched it more times than I care to remember. Suddenly though, it clicked and a great burden just fell away: it was amazing really.
Attached Thumbnails
Wells Cathedral-0000077_model-peterborough-cathedral.jpg