View Single Post

Old 09-16-2018, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The northwest corner

Thank you gents! I agree that the colors are a bit too bright compared to the real thing but on the other hand, that's the charm of hand colored models of pre-computer designed era which are not "photo-realistic".

Tom, that's a huge dilemma! Maybe it's just best not to think of time too much, but just start building what you like to do? The fun of modeling is building and see where the process takes you. It shouldn't be like production work, at least that would kill the peace of mind this hobby is for me.

Alright, next the side walls and adjacent smaller buildings at the northwest side of the church. Also, these side walls are somewhat too low if you take the markings of the aisle section as reference. So I decided to glue a base plate underneath the side wall of 0.5mm thick and then placed the wall and its “sub” base to the church plan to sufficiently increase the wall height.

Installing the remaining smaller buildings, columns and other parts that make up this section is an easy job and the fit is at the least acceptable. Certainly not difficult. Finally, the slanted roof section to complete this corner of the church complex. It is wise to reinforce the back of the roof with 0.5mm cardboard, to enable easier installation. I also added cardboard to reinforce the top section of the main ship - it's the part with the date written on it.

The low building stretching the entire side of the north western corner actually holds the access to the church for visitors outside service hours. This is the side facing the market square. Upon entering you walk through a shop and have to pay a small entrance fee to visit. Then, you walk through a door that leads to the church itself and to your left will find a completed paper model of the St-Bavo in a show case. For me that was the moment I decided to get a copy once and for all. It’s sold in the shop for just over half of the price of what you would have to pay in a regular hobby shop. So, should you happen to be in Haarlem and visiting this church, don’t miss out on this golden opportunity….

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7568.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7569.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7570.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7567.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7571.jpg  

1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7572.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7586.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7587.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7588.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7591.jpg  

1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7592.jpg