View Single Post

Old 09-24-2018, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Had to do some fiberglass work last week. Went to a local auto parts store "Car Quest" to get a paint match. Originally the plane was painted with auto type paint, the color match was done with a camera. It was perfect.

Having met the paint guy, decided to use the blue that was mixed for the blue, red will be a Porsche Guards Red (used to own a Porsche 944 and a 914 painted guards red).

Interesting thing about the paint that was matched, put into a rattle can so I could do some touch up easily.

Thank you for the advice, will ask more questions next spring when I get ready to do the painting. George told me he has been doing auto paint stuff for 35+ years.

Dave, the vinyl wrap is a great idea, lots lighter than paint, however to do it properly, would want to strip the old paint to bare metal. Don't have that kind of money.

That is why I was thinking of adding just the graphics on top of the old paint. It has been on the plane since 1998 and only needs touched up in a few places, wearing very well, even after spending several years in California weather, a couple in Arizona, another few in Nevada and coastal weather in Oregon.

It is parked outside all year now at the Kenai Airport. I do have wing, and tail covers for winter, insulated engine cover too.

Just working up the graphic using my main drawing program for models. Lots more work to do, to get it finalized.

Mike