View Single Post

Old 09-24-2018, 02:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Crow's nest...

Hi @ all!

The deadeyes are all complete, and the crow's nests have been finished. The pilgrims need a look out point from where to spot the new land, right?

Material & Method

Pic. 1 shows again how I make the small loop for the other ropes. It is just a double loop (1.) then I pull the end of the thread through it (2.) attach it to the rope (3.) and tighten (4.). I use CA superglue but NOT!! the gel! The super glue does not stay on the surface of the rope/thread but gets soaked quickly and dries within few seconds. Hope you can see something on that picture...

Crow's nest
The next 3 pics show what I used for the crow's nest. Again I use 1mm thick cardboard and use the self adhesive foil for the wooden look. Then I use oil paints (burnt umber, burned sienna, lamp black) to alter the parts.

It turned out very difficult to attach the foil in a bended way as it can get bended only as much after which it tries to get back in a more relaxed position. In such a case I need to use CA, which can cause quite a mess...

The rail where I attached the deadeyes was painted black with an acrylic marker. The deadeyes are wooden ones which I sanded into the triangular shape. They are simply too small for my clumsy fingers to make them myself.. I used a tiny copper wire painted black to attach them to the rail with a small loop on the underside for the shrouds.

Pic. 4 shows the little math I used to figure out how to transfer the diagonal shape of the crow's nest onto a 2D sheet. Important was to figure out the theta angle (or the length of the part within the circle) so that the diagonal shape will be as in the plans. Finally my studies come in handy... The picture should be self explanatory.

The last four pictures show the Mayflower in its current state. The upper masts and the crow's nests are not glued in place yet.

Rigging continues slowly and after all the deadeyes have been finished the progress should fasten up a bit...
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf347.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf348.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf349.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf350.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf351.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf352.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf353.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf354.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20