View Single Post

Old 10-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Onto the actual modelling……..

The first step was to cut out all the pieces before starting – something I tend to do with some models if the parts are not too numerous, or likely to get mixed up!

This was obviously straightforward – there are a total of only 20 pieces – although this does not mean it is a rapid build. You also need to find 2 skewers (used to make the legs).

Take care when cutting out and look carefully at the parts where there are cuts into the actual part – for instance in the wings (parts 6 and 7) and the one head part (part 13), where the cut from the one bottom part should follow the curve above. See Picture 1 below.

If in doubt when cutting out, just hold back until you get to the building stage and you are able to dry fit the part. The need for lengthening any cuts will then become clear.

TIP
  • Once the pieces are cut out I store them (as well as made up parts) using Systema storage trays – these are made in New Zealand and are available across the world, so anyone wanting to use them is in luck! They are brilliant, and I really recommend them!
  • They are sturdy, light and durable. The two sizes I use are 1.7 and 3.5 litres. The boxes are fully stackable.
  • Inside each container is a removable tray for small parts
  • The trays have sloping edges at the bottom, so it is easy to remove small paper parts.
See the pictures below.

Picture 2 shows the boxes stacked, as well as their comparative sizes.

Pictures 3 and 4 show the boxes with their lids off.

Pictures 5 and 6 – When I travel I sometimes take one of the small boxes, put my basic tools in the bottom and then put the tray with model parts to work on in and close it up. I pack the voids with toilet paper and then stick it in my suitcase. The lid makes a useful tray as well.

Picture 7 – This shows the sloping bottoms to the compartments – very useful for getting tiny pieces out.

Picture 8 – Just a shot to give you an idea of size. You can also see some boxes stacked on the chair.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-body-1.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-ba.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-b-box.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-c-box.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-d-box.jpg  

Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-e-box.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-f-box.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-g-box.jpg