View Single Post

Old 10-09-2018, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you for the interest and welcome aboard

@ Thomas – my experience with GPM architecture subjects has been mixed. Baranow Sandomierski was not good, Frombork was not bad and Krakow was great. Apart from Lodz, the only kits waiting are Wroclaw (you know it well ) and Bazylika Mariacka, in Gdansk. Some of the models you mention are in my “possible future shopping” list. Wavel is not there just because the model is huge.

@ Kevin - Lodz’s detail set includes the transparencies, laser cut window frames and engraved card parts. The frames are lovely but they are not painted. It would be great if GPM managed to laser cut painted/textured parts. I don’t plan to use the engraved parts, as the “simply” painted parts look better!

Unlike Krakow and Wroclaw, which have huge architectural variety and many annexes to the main building, Lodz is an almost “textbook gothic cathedral”. So, I decided to make virtually all the subassemblies first and put the whole thing together later. The method may look odd and not very rewarding because you don’t see anything substantial for a long time. However, I always have an aircraft model on the workbench at the same time and the comparatively easy assembly of an architecture or a train model takes place after dinner on working days. Subassemblies can be tedious but they are just perfect for an hour, as the hands work well on autopilot…
The pictures show half a dozen of tall buttresses. The assembly (second picture) is made much easier by using card parts (first picture) that fix the space between the left and right sides. This way, there is no problem to get untwisted buttresses.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c11.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c12.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c13.jpg