View Single Post

Old 10-29-2018, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
I thought I’d drop a line to let you know how closely I’m following this build. I’ve been a fan of card models for many years, but never found the time to begin one for one reason or another.

You can see I’ve been a member of this forum for nearly a decade and this is my first post.

This thread is what made me stop my current 1/700 build and take a side-bar into card modeling for a bit. The same-old same-old with my small scale ships was starting to feel like a rut, which thanks to this thread is over.

This is what I typically build:

HMS Tiger, resin hull, mostly scratch built superstructure

HMS Orion, resin hull, extensive scratch building.

S/Y Endurance, Sir Ernest Shackleton’s ship on the Imperial Trans Antarctic Expedition, fully scratch built.

Now you can see what just arrived....

I thought it would be a good idea to try my hands at a less complex kit, and I have quite a stash of JSC models, among many others, in the library, so I thought I’d start with my favorite Dreadnought of the war, SMS Viribus Unitis. It was certainly a good place to start and while I made mistakes I learned a lot. I feel like I’m ready to tackle my Emden now, especially with the help of this thread.

Anyway, I just thought you might like to know that your hard work in making this build log is going a LONG way to help me with mine. Emden is such a great subject and your work is really doing her justice. Again, thank you for keeping this thread updated, and I’ll be sure to share my finished Emden once she’s finished.

Joe
Thanks very much Joe! Your 1:700 ships are stunning, and the paper ship also; I doubt the Emden will pose many problems for you. If you can get the hull joints right, the rest should be straightforward. The instructions need careful study, and often you need to ignore part numbers and assemble using intuition, but that’s half the fun...I suppose!