View Single Post

Old 10-30-2018, 01:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
Thanks for the tip there, I’ll keep and eye out for mis-numbering. Thankfully I’m very familiar with German cruiser designs having built a diorama of Königsburg during the Battle of the Rufiji Delta. I’m glad you mentioned it though, I’ll make sure to remember I might be lead astray.

I’m glad you like the 1/700 ships. That’s really where my passion is but I enjoy trying other mediums too. I love building ships from resin and scratch building as much as I can, to me it’s far simpler than a plastic kit. I loathe plastic model kits anymore. Gaps, seams, errors! Resin, photo etch and scratch building not only make for a much more tidy build, but forces me to research each subject fully.

Card modeling, however, offers a lot of the same fiddly detailing and construction without having to paint everything in the end. I enjoy building more than painting, but a long time ago I decided that the paint on my ships had to be perfect, so I invested a great deal of time and money into learning to air brush well. Card models, at least to me, offer up a lot of the things I like, while removing some of the things I don’t.

As for my SMS Emden, all I have finished so far is the base. It’s a beautiful piece of exotic Bacote wood with hand-rasped edges and finished in tung oil. I spent a good many hours on it, so I guess I’ve officially begun!

Again, thank you for this thread, I look forward to every post.

Thanks Joe. I know what you mean about plastic vs scratchbuilding vs paper. I build plastic kits too, often with added resin and p/e. I have done some scratchbuilding, albeit mainly additional details, mainly 1:72 aircraft. I have an airbrush, but I get OCD about finish and weathering. I often wonder why I do it! I think a paper ship somehow doesn't need to be as 'perfect' to look good, unlike a plastic model, and of course no paint required (apart from edges). I justify my errors by saying to myself, c'mon: it's made out of paper!

With all my models I have a set vision of how I want them to look, and pretty much don't give up until I've reached that result.

Cheers!