View Single Post

Old 11-04-2018, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olo View Post
Hello Folks.My name is Tom and I am from Canada. I started working on this B-17 G model from GPM. If anyone finished this model please share your thoughts of this model. The scale is 1:33
Attachment 368267
Hello Tom!

This is the same old FlyModel kit with some minor changes.

In the general shape and proportions, it is good compared to photos of B-17 fortresses.
But details are poor. There is room for improvement.

A member of our forum built it some time ago, and you can see photos here:
B-17G Flying Fortress; GPM; 1/33
Read the comments, as there are some things to consider.

The silver paper is very delicate, so it needs careful handling.

You can see another detailed thread of the FlyModel version where the modeler improved
some things here: https://www.sklejmy.com/viewtopic.php?t=1109
It is basically the same kit, but green instead of silver.

You will definitely need the English translation of the instructions found in our download section.
They really help a lot because they point what is wrong with the model and how to correct it,
and they suggest a good building order that helps to avoid a mess.
They also give a solution to the problem of fitting the wings to the fuselage,
which is a very bad point of this kit.
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/v...&downloadid=44

Overall, it is a kit that shows its age.
It is not bad, but is far from being perfect.

You will notice the hand-drawn pattern is bad at some points, but very good at others.
The nose section in this kit is circular, while the original plane had the top of the nose a bit flattened.
The interior detail is mostly wrong and sparse, but in any case most of it won't be seen at all once everything is closed.

The cover artwork shows the fortress deploying bombs.... but the kit doesn't really have that option.

If you have some patience and like to tinker here and there you can add good details to improve it.
It is enjoyable to build. Just make sure you have enough space for it as the final kit is huge.

There aren't many 1:33 B-17 fortresses. Besides this GPM/FlyModel version,
the other option in 1:33 is the highly detailed and very accurate version by Maly Modelarz.

Here are a couple of photos of a build I did of the green FlyModel version not long ago.
As I did a rushed and careless build, I made a lot of mistakes, but the nature of the kit is quite forgiving.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 G Flying fortress-fort06.jpg   B-17 G Flying fortress-fort05.jpg   B-17 G Flying fortress-fort07.jpg