View Single Post

Old 11-05-2018, 03:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Dave, I fully agree with what you wrote.
It's just that Buzz's story might have made for a more exciting movie.
His flying days in Korea, his relation with his very demanding and pushing father, who wanted him to be the best in everything. Even up til the point that Aldrin sr., who (if I recall correctly) was a high ranked senior officer in the military, lobbied at NASA to get his son in the commander's seat or at least to be the first to step off the ladder. Aldrin's frustrations, his alcoholism and his resurrection, all good ingredients for a good psychological drama.
Yes, he wants to be in the limelight. That doesn't make him bad or less interesting, though. I think his whole life story just is interesting.
And I was honestly surprised that they chose to make a movie out of Armstrong's life, although I understand the reasons, of course.

Like you said, Dave, Armstrong indeed was an extremely humble, modest and reclusive person. Brilliant, probably one of the last real stick-and-rudder men of the astronaut corps, and it often seemed he'd rather forgot about that little moon trip he once did. That is true. That is why I think the film perhaps focuses more on the dangers of the missions he flew and the terrible loss his family suffered.