Thread: Name this bird
View Single Post

Old 11-10-2018, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 414.21 MB
OK, I've just uploaded my 1:72 recolor of Gary Pilsworth's 1:48 Beech Model 18 into NPC-54, the first aircraft of Philippine Air Lines. Incidentally, the registry code dates back to when the Philippines was a US territory.

It began flying on 15 March 1941, from Nielsen Field (now Makati CBD) to Loakan Field in Baguio, with PAL founding director Andres Soriano supplying his personal Beech 18 and pilot Paul Gunn. This particular aircraft was shot down by a Japanese floatplane (likely a F1M 'Pete' from Sanyo Maru) between Zamboanga and Bukidnon around 26 January 1942.

Captain 'Pappy' Gunn survived his second shootdown and went on to wage a very unconventional war, as documented by General George Kenney.

I was so enthused by this subject it only took me a half day to finish this recolor! My abandoned project turned out useful as I'd already done the research into colors and graphics placement. For me Gary's version hits the sweet spot between Chaiwat's simplistic design and Gerard's more complex interpretation. Enjoy!

Ready for my next challenge, Gary - how about an uncolored HS-748?

As usual, available after moderator approval.

Last edited by lfuente; 11-10-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added text