View Single Post

Old 11-19-2018, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.73 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I've read the first four books and I agree they are mostly logical - with the exception that they apparently are capable of generating a localized gravity field at 90 degrees to the ships thrust vector. Also, they generate a constant acceleration with a mass ejection propulsion plant (basically, a rocket) which apparently needs no mass to eject.

Not having seen the shows, I have no knowledge if this is the only thing I need to suspend belief, or, if like Star Trek, I also must accept a universe with indigenous planetary inhabitants capable of interbreeding with humans among other handwavium or nonobtainium objects.

Having been reading SF for over 65 years, I've grown accustomed to much better worldbuilding by the authors. Unless they are obviously writing Space Opera.

TomW.
The ships in the series all have decks at 90 degrees to the ships long axis, so the gravity comes from the thrust.

There's a Killer discussion on the Epstein Drive wiki re: the fuel and engine types Epstein Drive | The Expanse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Last edited by ricomon35; 11-19-2018 at 06:35 PM.