View Single Post

Old 11-19-2018, 11:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I've recently upgraded from painting with spraycans to using an airbrush, I paint all my models.

Definitely ditch the air can idea and go for a small compressor, as Dave mentioned, they're compact, quiet and reasonably cheap. I paid around $50 AU for one that came with a half decent airbrush. Neither have let me down. For the work you want to do, a single action should be fine but dual action gives you more control if you want to do more detailed work.

I did an airbrush course years ago, from memory, they require around 20 to 30 PSI. I could be wrong, it's been a while.

If you want to go cheap, my advice would be not to go too cheap, I'd also reccomend one with a built in gravity feed as opposed to the removeable suction feed bottles.

I recently purchased an ultra cheap one on ebay just to see if it was any good, short answer, it's not.

If you're not going to use it often, they key is to clean it properly before storing it, same as a regular spray gun but on a smaller scale, pull everything apart etc. If you're using water based paints they're super easy to keep clean though and there's no need to dismantle it if you're using it often.

I use Vallejo airbrush paints, with and without primer... as mentioned, if you use a primer first, a paper model can take a fair bit of punishment from water based paints, sometimes I don't use a primer, in which case it's best to use light coats and give them time to dry before applying a second coat. Airbrushes spray a much lighter coat than spraycans and proper spray guns, you can get away with a fair bit before you start to hurt the model as long as you're careful.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000