View Single Post

Old 12-03-2018, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
THIS!

I have noticed a similar issue in the ads for their R2-D2. They claim it is 1/2 scale, meaning it is half as tall as the real one. Well. The real one is 109 cm tall. 1/2 scale would be 54.5 cm. However, the DeAgo model is 48 cm tall which is only 1.5" taller than the Hasbro Interactive R2 from 2002 which has almost the same features and is available at a fraction of the price. Even if you consider the height deviation from two-legged to three-legged drive mode it is definitely NOT 1/2 scale and still NO-ONE seems to be bothered by these discrepancies, even after I have pointed them out.
I've been watching a series of build videos on YouTube for this R2-D2 kit.
The build quality seems far more inclusive than the Hasbro toy. The full metal framework and considerable levels of detail.

IF I had a good paying job, I'd consider paying the $1,800 or so for the fun of building and playing with this model. I'd probably add a Raspberry Pi for high-level AI.
But I'm in the Print-N-Paste budget. And I haven't even been able to replace the colour toner on the work printer I use for printing, so I've been pretty idle.

Overall, the price is far more for the build-it-yourself progress. and when the issues come out, the individual issue price isn't that bad, until you calculate the total cost. But you can say the same when you buy a car. You make monthly payments you can afford, but after 5 years, not only have you paid nearly twice the sticker price when you bought it, but you've paid at least 5 times what it is now worth.

When I was in Ireland, probably 15 years or so ago, DeAgastini brought out a build-your-own robot kit I started. When it became obvious it was going to be more of a remote-control toy, I quit.