View Single Post

Old 12-03-2018, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Releasing the astonauts

Dear all

Just a quick update on how the removal of the support material from the astronauts is going

So they were like this

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13027.jpg

I found that water about 45 to (at most) 50 degrees centigrade was the best to just leave the models in. As you can see to begin with the support material slowly falls off (like in some science fiction film)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13028.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13029.jpg

I found changing the water about every 20 to 30 mins was best. Each bath removes more and more of this "sticky" stuff.

After about 5 baths they looked like this

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13030.jpg

I found using a glass bowl was better than a plastic bowl since the "water" (particularly at the beginning) is really "glu-y", not surprisingly and it is easier to clean a glass bowl rather than a plastic bowl. Also with this amount of support I did not pour the "dirty water" down the sink. Finally I put a plate on top of the models to keep them fully submerged.

So now I am going to leave all the models soaking overnight to hopefully dissolve away the last thin bits of support solution.

Regards

Kevin