Thread: Off on holiday!
View Single Post

Old 12-13-2018, 05:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Herky, JohnM, Mike, Gary, Tramfan and Whulsey - thank you all also for your good wishes.

Along with Don and Doug's they sure worked as this was our best holiday ever - I was sad it ended!

And John - after we left London we had sunshine, blues skies and mild temperatures EVERY DAY!

I wanted to bring back models, but had no details of any postal addresses I could use before I left. Then in the two weeks we were there I never knew in advance where we would be, as we played it by ear as we went along!

-------------------------

Hired a car in London - it was brand new. Gave it back to them with nearly 2,000 miles on the clock!

Picture 1 is a summary of our route from Google Maps......we traveled anti-clockwise.

Highlights:
  • Day 1, 2 & 3 - We started in London where I did some bits and pieces on the Friday. Saturday we went to the Grand Union Canal and St Albans. Sunday attended Remembrance Day in London. 100th Anniversary so tons more people this year.
  • Day 4 - Monday we headed north to York.
  • Day 5 - Next day to York Minister. Stunning. We then headed north again to Homestead.
  • Day 6 - We did Hadrian's wall and a Roman fort and then went to the Angel of the North near Sunderland/Newcastle (which I have always wanted to see and was well worth the detour). North again to Edinburgh
  • Day 7 - Spent the next day in Edinburgh and then decided to leave as it was not up to our expectations - not great at all despite all the hype. Real tourist trap as well.
  • Day 8 - On to Roslyn Chapel - very interesting and there I bought my only paper model - then Bannockburn Battle Site and Stirling Castle. Night at Inverness.
  • Day 9 - Onto Culloden Battle Site, and a drive through the Highlands and the Loch's to the West Coast, where we then caught the ferry for Islay arriving at midnight!
  • Day 10 & 11 - Islay where we explored the island (and whiskey distilleries) - lots of interesting history and ruins.
  • Day 12 - Islay, then ferry back to the mainland and off to Glasgow and Carlisle, sight seeing in the Highlands again on the way.
  • Day 13 - Carlisle to London the next day.
  • Day 14 - We flew back in the evening, but first went to the RAF Museum in the morning and then saw my Aunt (103 and still fit and fighting!) on the way to the airport!

2 weeks gone!
-----------------------------

Tremendous holiday and really loved every minute in Scotland (apart from Edinburgh). Next holiday we will return and do more of the islands.

Took over 5,000 photos between Linda and myself! Can post a few if anyone is interested....!!
Attached Thumbnails
Off on holiday!-tripmap.jpg