View Single Post

Old 12-14-2018, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

A couple more scratchbuilt models this week, but this time I’m not copying vintage models from the past, these two buildings are of my own design. The first is a camera platform to elevate some of my 1/32 scale plastic figures above the fray. The design needed to be the narrow building you see in the photographs, as it had to fit into a pretty tight spot.

On the far end of my layout is a large, banked turn that recalls the famous Carousel turn found on the Nurburgring track. The real Carousel is a favorite spot to view a race, as the cars have to slow down for the massive curve and then make their way around what is essentially an automotive amphitheater. My track wound up with a narrow, curved, and empty space between the high-banked turn and the smaller radius turn inside it. This camera platform fills that space nicely.

Made of mat board and sitting on a wooden base, the first floor serves as an office and shelter for track officials. The real reason for the building is the camera platform above the office. Accessed by the painted brass ladder, the lucky plastic people standing atop the platform have the best possible view of the track.

The second scratchbuilt building seen below is the ticket booth. I hope I got the translation right when I put the sign on the roof. This was a much easier design and build than the previous camera platform. Again made from mat board, I incorporated two separate booths under one roof. To add a bit of color, I placed some appropriate flags on top. They are left to right, the State Flag of Rhineland-Palatinate, the National Flag of Germany and the Municipal Flag of Nürburg. There are a lot of flags on my layout, and unless I bump one out of position, they all flutter in the same direction from a northerly breeze.

As a side note, most of the more than one hundred plastic figures are re-pops from old 1960s Monogram molds. Others are classic Scalextric people along with a few modern Chinese figures.

All for now,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Slot Car Buildings-img_1554.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1802.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1803.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1807.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1806.jpg  

Slot Car Buildings-img_1539.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1866.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1868.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1864.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1870.jpg