View Single Post

Old 12-18-2018, 07:30 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
They Shall Not Grow Old

I consider myself lucky to have seen Peter Jackson's WWI documentary last night, since the theatrical release is extremely limited in scope. The 7pm showing of the regular version was sold out, so I bought a ticket for the "Real 3D" version. This is a 1 hr 40 min collection of actual WWI footage that has been digitally cleaned up, colorized, stabilized, and slowed down to a natural speed. The skills of forensic lip readers were utilized to determine what the soldiers in the old footage were saying, and then voice overs were added along with the sounds of horses, explosions, whizzing bullets, screams etc to bring the scenes to life. I was particularly impressed by the armor and artillery scenes. The big screen combined with loud surround sound pulls the viewer into the action.

The film starts with narrated, original B&W footage in letterbox format, which gradually expands to encompass the entire screen. When the movie shifts to the colorized images it was breathtaking. Akin, I would think, to what movie goers in 1939 must have experienced when Dorothy stepped out of her house into the land of Oz.

It is difficult for any film to live up to the hype proceeding its release, but this one certainly comes close. I will admit that after the initial wow factor of the enhanced footage drains away (maybe 20 minutes in, in my case), you get used to it, and except for occasional scenes that remind you that what you are viewing is truly special, the film becomes much like any other war documentary you my have seen.

At the beginning of the film you are invited to stick around until after the credits run to view a second, half hour long "making of" documentary, but I chose not to watch it - magic is much less impressive once you know how the trick is done.

Anyway, I highly recommend the film, and hope that you all get a chance to see it. https://www.theyshallnotgrowold.film/videos/