View Single Post

Old 12-27-2018, 02:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I have been trying with each design, to install the wings at a slight upward angle.
I figured more angle of attack would help with lift.
But all the models are stalling...too much lift?...and all require weight to keep the noses down and the flight level.

But I am under the impression this is the best method of approach,
since it is only possible to add weight to the nose...not take it away.
The next step in controlling the pitch, would be elevator action.

re your camber idea...
Since the wings are straight/level at the fuselage, it would be hard to maintain the curve in the wing...?
And what exactly would the would camber do?...add more lift? (which we don't really want).

Not being argumentative...I am honestly curious about the camber idea.
My first design, copied the curved (cambered) wing shape (thru-the-fuselage attachment)
...but it did not fly at all! It immediately dropped and twisted out of control.
The flat wing has worked a lot better.

Hey, I'm no expert on paper planes or gliders.
The best I have ever done, to this point, is assemble someone else's glider
or fold the basic paper airplane!
Hi Dave,

Ok, the angle you keep adding to the wings is called incidence. 1 degree to 1.5 deg should be fine.

All keep stalling because the tail is too heavy! Add weight to the nose like you said keeps the nose down. Now the model could weigh too much.

If you make the wings slightly bigger the glider will like it. Add some dihedral for stability.

Yes, for a model to fly you must properly "Weight & Balance" them. Rule of thirds can get you close to the proper CG for your models, 1/3 way back from the wing leading edge would be a good place to balance the models at. This is important for models to fly.

I've done quite a few of these basic models a few years ago.

Lesson learned:
1) The side of the fuselage is a huge rudder, real hard for the actual little rudder to work to keep from turning. Make sure fuselage is really straight .
2) Wing "Chamber" did not work on these really small models. Flat plate is best.
3) Bend a wingtip up about an inch from the end, this gives a little dihedral stability out near the wingtip for better control.

Great looking models Dave!

Mike