View Single Post

Old 12-27-2018, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Thanks Mike! Yes, I am aware of some of this, and I am deliberately ignoring some of it! lol.

Ok, the angle you keep adding to the wings is called incidence. 1 degree to 1.5 deg should be fine.

Yeah, I am keeping this upward angle at a minimum.
Its mostly an accommodation for the way I am doing the artwork.
And it makes the lower attachment areas a bit bigger (more contact area).
And depending on how the tail elevator aligns with the fuselage,
I try to make that my horizontal line, and then I angle the wing from that line.

All keep stalling because the tail is too heavy! Add weight to the nose like you said keeps the nose down. Now the model could weigh too much.

Well, this is why I have avoided enlarging the tail surfaces (even though this has been suggested).
But all the models require such a small amount of nose weight to balance them, I think the weight ratio is in the ballpark.

If you make the wings slightly bigger the glider will like it. Add some dihedral for stability.

I'm not trying to be scale accurate...a couple of the models already have distorted elements, mainly the wings.
Because the fuselage is flat and the wings are brought closer together
and the wing root does not have the same flare or taper, I'm trying to shorten and deepen the wing to make it work, without losing the visual resemblance.

I also have to consider the room on the model sheet.
These models have been in the 1/50 scale range so far (I checked)...
its the biggest I can go, and still get everything on the page.
But a couple of the models have already been a tight fit.
So enlarging the wings may not be an option.
In any case, all the model do have slightly deeper (distorted) wings.

All the models are designed for dihedral, but this really depends on the builder.
The attached Instruction sheets all suggest excessive dihedral in the assembly diagrams.
I added the wing root tab to help lock the dihedral in the assembly.
but its really up to the builder to push the wings up when gluing them in place.

Yes, for a model to fly you must properly "Weight & Balance" them. Rule of thirds can get you close to the proper CG for your models,
1/3 way back from the wing leading edge would be a good place to balance the models at. This is important for models to fly.

As I mentioned before, I have been more interested in the artwork
and how to make the aircraft as visually accurate as possible
and not worried as much about their aerodynamic properties.
All honesty...I have not considered any of this during the design of each "glider".
If the model actually glides when its done...thats just a bonus to me! lol